Camp Recipe 4: Dutch Oven Treats
Dutch oven meals are wonderful for camping. If you don't have a dutch oven, placing the meal in a pan directly into hot campfire coals will work just fine.
from Dutch Oven Dude
1/4 cube butter
8 slices of bread
2 lb pre-cooked pork sausage
1 lb cheddar cheese
1 qt milk
1-1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1. Line a 12" dutch oven with heavy duty aluminum foil. (optional)
2. Spread butter all over the foil.
3. Tear bread into pieces.
4. Break sausage into pieces.
5. Grate cheese.
6. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, dry mustard, and salt.
7. Heat D.O. to 300 degrees.
8. Layer the bread, sausage, cheese, eggs into the D.O.
9. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
10. Check and cook another 10-15 minutes until cheese forms a light-brown crust on top of cooked eggs.
from managing editor Brittany Beattie
1 devil's food cake box mix
1 can black cherry soda
1 can cherries
Mix soda, egg and cake mix together; pour into the Dutch oven. Top it with cherries. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours on the recommended number of coals for your Dutch oven's size.
|To comment on this article you must be logged in. Not a member?|